1. What is the objective of the SIM-Richard K M Eu/You Poh Seng Scholarships?
The objective is to provide scholarships to deserving UniSIM or SIM GE graduates to pursue postgraduate studies at reputable local or overseas universities in the fields of Engineering, IT & Computer Science, Science & Technology, Health Sciences, Banking, Economics & Finance, Business, Mathematics & Statistics, Law, and Social Sciences.
2. For how long have the scholarships been awarded?
The scholarships were launched in 2010.
3. How many scholarships are awarded each year?
We will be awarding two scholarships worth up to SGD 100,000 each.
4. How long is the tenure of the scholarships?
Each scholarship is tenable for the minimum period required to complete the full course of study, as stipulated by the programme.
5. What do the scholarships pay for?
Both awards cover tuition fees, examination fees and other compulsory fees, as well as an allowance (subject to fund availability). The total value of each award is capped at SGD 100,000.
6. When and how can I apply?
Applications will open in March and close at the end of April each year.
Application forms are available on our website www.sim.edu.sg/simscholarships during the application period. Applicants must separately seek admission to their programmes of choice and must be accepted for admission before being awarded the scholarships.
7. May I apply for more than one scholarship?
No, you can only apply for one scholarship at a time for your preferred course of study. The scholarship may also not be held concurrently with other scholarships.
8. What are the conditions during the tenure of the scholarships?
You are required to sit for all examinations, complete the programme within the stipulated time and conform to regulations, instructions and discipline in force for the programme. This will constitute satisfactory completion of the programme.
You are expected to maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.5 out of 4 or attain 70% and above for your programme. You will be required to submit your results to SIM every semester.
9. When will the outcome of my scholarship application be known?
The outcome will be known in about 6 to 8 weeks after the closing date.
10. May I withdraw from the scholarship upon successful application?
Yes, you may withdraw from the scholarship upon successful application if the scholarship agreement has been signed but the course has not commenced. However, you will need to pay an administrative fee of SGD 200.
11. May I withdraw from the scholarship upon commencement of the course?
You may withdraw from the scholarship by giving three months' notice in writing to SIM. However, you will reimburse SIM the tuition fee, and any other fees and allowance that have been paid by SIM thus far, within three months of withdrawal.
12. Will withdrawal of my current scholarship affect my future application?
Yes. There are limited places at each round of application and your withdrawal status will be taken into account in your next application.
13. May I defer the scholarship offered to me to next year?
No, there is no deferment of the scholarship. Student has to re-apply for the scholarship the following year.
14. May I defer the scholarship offered to me after my National Service?
No. A student can only apply for the scholarship upon completion of his National Service.
15. May I change the course of study or take up any additional course of study?
No. The student shall not change the course of study or take up any additional course of study without the prior written permission of SIM. You shall be liable to pay in full (i.e. 100%) of the fee for any additional course(s) that are not required of the programme of study.
16. What is required of me after I have been awarded the scholarship?
Recipients of the scholarships are to sit for all examinations, complete the programme within the prescribed time and conform to all regulations, instructions and course requirements in force of the respective programmes. This will constitute satisfactory completion of the programme.
17. Under what conditions will my scholarship be terminated?
The award of the scholarships is subject to review at the end of each semester of study. SIM reserves the right to terminate the scholarships at any time, without notice if:
- You are found guilty of misconduct, or any other causes deemed by SIM as prejudicial to its good reputation and standing
- For any reason, you fail to meet the CGPA requirement
- For any reason, you fail to obtain the qualification for which the scholarship was awarded within the prescribed period or any extended period
If the scholarship is terminated based on any of the above reasons, you are liable to reimburse SIM the tuition fee, and any other fees and allowance that have been paid by SIM within three months of termination.
18. Do I have to submit my transcripts every year?
Yes, the student has to submit the transcripts every academic semester/year for SIM to review the scholarship, failing which SIM reserves the right to terminate the scholarship. This being the case, the student will need to reimburse SIM the tuition fee, and any other fees and allowance that have been paid by the SIM thus far, within three months of termination.